|     |      |     |

Rotary International

This topic contains 9 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  admin 8 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

admin
    Keymaster

Posted by: Michelle Brooks, University Health Systems of Eastern Carolina

Date: September 14, 2009, 1:35 pm

Below is the description of Rotary on their website….Does anyone count participation as CB? If so, what category??? Thanks.

“What would it take to change the world? Rotary International is the world’s first service club organization, with more than 1.2 million members in 33,000 clubs worldwide. Rotary club members are volunteers who work locally, regionally, and internationally to combat hunger, improve health and sanitation, provide education and job training, promote peace, and eradicate polio under the motto Service Above Self.”

admin
    Keymaster

Response: Maria Brewer, Hendricks Regional Health and Augusta Mueller, Yale-New Haven Health

Date: September 14, 2009, 3:14 pm

We classify the Rotary Club under F2 – Economic Development.

admin
    Keymaster

Response: Sr. Kateri Theriault, St. Leonard

Date: September 14, 2009, 3:14 pm

We reflected it under miscellaneous in the past, but it could go under community outreach because it’s purpose is to extend into the community and our personnel who are part of it do this on work time.

admin
    Keymaster

Response: Carol Candor, Bayhealth Medical Center

Date: September 14, 2009, 4:21 pm

Yes, I count Rotary as a CB if the staff member is an active participant. If the staff person works on Rotary projects, committees etc. then I count each regular meeting time and all the time spent on a project or committee. If the staff person only attends his/her Rotary meetings and never participates in the group’s committees or projects I don’t count any of the time spent at Rotary.

I classify service of this type under In Kind Donations….donating time and talent or Healthcare Outreach depending on what type of work/project the staff member is working on. If you want to use any and all time spent at Rotary, Kiwanis, Lions Club, etc. without looking at what is done for the organization then I would classify it under F2 …Economic Development

REMEMBER: F2 falls under Part II of Schedule H.

admin
    Keymaster

Response: Mary Luthy, St. John’s Health Center

Date: September 14, 2009, 5:21 pm

I may have misunderstood the question, but I would only report staff time if the person were being paid for the time he/she attends the meeting, and if they were representing the health center. In the past I have only reported Rotary meetings when I make a presentation about the health center or one of our programs to the entire club. Otherwise I would report as leadership, or in the non-quantifiable part of our report to the state of California.

admin
    Keymaster

Response: Deb Freeman, The Bellevue Hospital

Date: September 15, 9:09 am

If you do a presentation about your health center, wouldn’t that be considered marketing?

admin
    Keymaster

Response: Renee Hanrahan, Via Christi Health System

Date: September 15, 9:30 am

There is no “cookie cutter” response to the question. Since Rotary is a “service” organization, regular meetings may not count. However, if a person is making a presentation about testicular cancer and the importance of annual exams, then, yes, I would count it. Remember your basics: does it respond to an identified community need, does it improve access to health services, enhance community health, advance medical knowledge or demonstrate charitable purpose. I would look at each Rotary meeting’s agenda to decide whether or not it meets any of these criteria before counting.

admin
    Keymaster

Response: Mary Luthy, St. John’s Health Center

Date: September 15, 8:15 am

If the intent is to explain what the hospital is doing in the way of community benefits, then no. The club specifically requests information about our community benefit activities, our services for the poor and homeless. I am not presenting a program to obtain new business, but to respond to a community need. Sorry I didn’t make that clear.

admin
    Keymaster

Date: September 15, 9:58 am

I think it depends on the subject of the presentation.

admin
    Keymaster

Response: Janette Polaski, The William W. Backus Hospital

Date: September 15, 9:17 am

Here in CT we report it as a quantifiable benefit. If the staff person is going during his or her workday (as many of our employees go to luncheon meetings) we report their staff time and salary. These individuals are all salaried (not hourly) and so they are being paid for their staff time away from the office, representing the hospital at Rotary functions and meetings. Therefore, it’s our opinion that we can count this as a community benefit.

admin
    Keymaster

Date: September 15, 2009, 9:55 pm

Mary is correct….for non exempt staff I only report for hours staff person is paid by organization but for exempt staff – where we have most of this type of activity occur – I report as I previously stated.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The forum ‘CBISA Community™ Archive’ is closed to new topics and replies.