Question on Volunteer Staff Hours

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    admin
    Keymaster

Posted by: Barbara Brower, Black River Memorial Hospital

Date: May 12, 2015 11:41 AM

Hello colleagues,

I’m relatively new to my position and CBISA Plus and have a question to clarify Volunteer Staff Hours. We have a Partners Volunteer Organization and they assist with events like our babysitting clinic and our blood drives. Do their hours get posted into the occurrences or does “Volunteer Staff Hours” mean our paid staff who are actually volunteering their time for these events? Thank you in advance.
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Response: Roxanne Hull, Yavapai Regional Medical Center
    Date: May 12, 2015 11:58 AM
    Hi Barbara,

I think it can be used for either.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Response: Katie Heinzen, Phillips Hospital

Date: May 12, 2015 2:26 PM

It is only for staff on your pay roll.
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Response: Pam Horlitz, Mayo Clinic Health System
    Date: May 12, 2015 3:22 PM
    Barbara,

We have chosen to use the volunteer staff hours to show the added strength our paid hours bring to our work in the community- we use three different hour fields
    For example:
    Two people are paid to coordinate an event- Staff hours include all of their time and have a salary value added
    They bring three fellow employees who are not paid but are willing to assist off the clock, their time is considered volunteer staff hours – these hours include their time at the event, without added dollar value
    If one of them would bring a spouse their time would be listed as Community Volunteer hours
    This has also helped us demonstrate added value when an employee is paid for an activity but gives more of their own time to the organization or event in addition to the paid time we cover. We find employees become engaged and then are active in the community on their own.

This may not have a large impact in the financial world, but there are times we can say that our work brought xxx additional effort to a cause- it helps when you are telling the story.
    For example, if we support employees putting together a team for the Relay for Life Cancer fundraiser, two or three employees may work for 8 hours to organize their team over 6 weeks,
    they get 15 people on a team that raises xxx dollars and total time in the event can easily exceed 50 hours… it makes the employee time more valuable as it supports a greater community impact….

I hope this is helpful, Pam
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Response: Laura Sessum, SRHS
    Date: May 12, 2015 3:31 PM
    We labeled our “Hours” boxes in this manner:

– Paid Staff Hours
    – Unpaid Staff Hours
    – Partner Hours

This way we can capture paid staff, unpaid staff, and other volunteers that partner with us (candy stripers, other organizations, etc.)

In general, I only document paid time. But when readily available I enter the other time.
    Posted by: Elisabeth Lucas, The Valley Hospital
    Date: May 12, 2015 4:16 PM
    Welcome to the world of CBISA!
    I use my Volunteer Staff Hours to track hours that our registered volunteers work at an event. You can also add categories so I added Physician Staff Hours to track the time physicians work at events. Since they are not employees of our hospital, it helps me tell our community benefit story at the end of the year.
    Be cautious when using employees as volunteers. Many state employment laws prohibit employees from volunteering for their organization in the same capacity that they are working for the organization. Your Human Resources Department can clarify that for you.
    Good Luck!
    Sincerely,
    Liz
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • The forum ‘CBISA Community™ Archive’ is closed to new topics and replies.