|     |      |     |

Nonprofit Hospitals and Employee Volunteer Programs

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    admin
    Keymaster

Posted by: Sharon Keating Beauregard, Stanford Health Care

Date: June 03, 2015 12:39 PM

Although this isn’t a CB question, I’m hoping to hear from those of you whose hospitals have a formal employee volunteer program where employees volunteer out in the community (not just at the hospital). If you have a formal program, which department runs it? Do employees get any time off to volunteer (e.g., employees get an additional X number of PTO hours per period of time, say a month, to use exclusively for volunteering)? Any other information you’d be willing to share would be great. Thank you. ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Response: Cathy Przyjemski, Reading Health
    Date: June 03, 2015 1:27 PM
    Hi Sharon:

We have an Employee Engagement Initiative that is run through our Employee Health Department. Below is an excerpt, from our intranet, that explains the program. We have set up VTO that is used instead of PTO to track the employees time off for a volunteer event. If you need any further details, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Through the new Employee Engagement Initiative, employees will be given the opportunity to participate in one volunteer activity per calendar year. This activity will be coordinated through the Hospital’s employee health department, which will arrange for transportation and lunch. The time spent away from the office will not be charged against an employee’s PTO or against their department or unit.

All activities are off campus.

Look to the schedule below to find an opportunity that interests you! If a registration link is available, please fill out the online form. You will then be sent a form for your manager/supervisor to sign to complete your registration. If a registration link is not yet available, please note any events that interest you on your calendar and check back for updates!
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Response: Darla Wertenberger, St Lukes

Date: June 03, 2015 1:49 PM

Could I get more details on # hours allowed and is this paid time or just unpaid time without having to take PTO. And “arrange for transportation and lunch”? Could you explain?__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Response: Dee Wimberley, Methodist Le Bonheur Healthcare
    Date: June 03, 2015 3:32 PM
    Sharon,

Our organization does and I handle through the Communications and Marketing department. I handle this along with our Corporate Contributions and Community Benefits. At this time, we do not provide additional time for volunteering. I have just taken this over however and want to revamp the entire program and get more associates involved. Would welcome seeing what the others around the country are doing as well.
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Response: Annemarie Dorazio, Atlantic Health System
    Date: June 10, 2015 6:18 PM
    Hello everyone,

If your nonprofit hospital is deciding to put a formal employee volunteer program in place, can you count the time and monetary resources spent to invest in this formal volunteer program as a community benefit activity? I know that the employee volunteer hours cannot be counted but was not sure about the administrative time and costs to set up a volunteer program by the nonprofit hospital.

Thanks in advance for your feedback to my question.
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Posted by: Ebony Brown, Saint Francis Hospital
    Date: June 11, 2015 10:49 AM

We have what is called Community Health Outreach Committee (CHOC) who meet once a month to discuss community programs and activities our hospital can be involved with. The people on the CHOC committee come from different departments in the hospital and volunteer their time for different community activities as well as recruit other employees in the hospital to volunteer their time. Our CHOC committee members are responsible for completing the community benefit form to report the activity (i.e. description, purpose, community need addressed) volunteer persons and hours and any money spent. This is a big help when reporting in CBISA.
    There is no PTO or comp time for volunteering. I am sure there is flexibility if needed, but our team is very dedicated in helping when and where they can. ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Response: Peter Morgan, Adventist Medical Center-Portland
    Date: June 11, 2015 11:24 AM
    Annemarie,

It would depend on what the employees are volunteering for. If the time and resources are for employees volunteering for events and programs that qualify as part of your community benefit programs than I would count the expenses that are directly a part those programs. If the employees are covering volunteer positions within your hospital normally filled by non-employee volunteers I would not count the cost.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • The forum ‘CBISA Community™ Archive’ is closed to new topics and replies.