|     |      |     |

Implementation of CBISA in a Large Health System

This topic contains 8 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  admin 9 years ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

admin
    Keymaster

Posted by: Erica Thrash-Sall, St. John’s Health System

Date: October 6, 2009, 2:42 pm

Does anyone have any helpful suggestions for implementing the software in a large health system? We want to make sure that we cover everything. Also has anyone done any presentations on the benefits of using the software?

admin
    Keymaster

Response: Samantha Frost, Ochsner Clinic Foundation

Date: October 8, 2009, 9:23 am

I work for a relatively small health system (4 hosp, 20 or so clinics). I did a phased rollout – I started with the people that did the most of the events/projects, then slowly added users.

admin
    Keymaster

Response: Amanda Marotz, Alegent Health

Date: October 8, 2009, 10:23 am

Samantha has a great approach—I’m in a system with 8 hospitals and 44 clinics, and I’ve been doing the same. Other recommendations…

Build awareness: Team up with your communications department to get the word out about community benefit; I’ve found that a lot of people are already doing community benefit activities, and just didn’t know it. They have been very willing to share.

Educate: I started off by giving a “What is community benefit?” presentation at each campus staff meeting, and then went to CBISA training on a dept level basis. People seem to learn the system best when they’re putting their own info in, rather than a generic training.

admin
    Keymaster

Response: Erica Thrash-Sall, St. John’s Health System

Date: October 8, 2009, 12:44 pm

Who were your facility coordinators and who were your reporters? How long did the roll-out take and was your finance department involved?

admin
    Keymaster

Response: Melissa Hutchison, Allina Hospitals and Clinics

Date: October 8, 2009, 10:48 am

We are a system of 11 hospitals and 80+ clinics and rolled out the CBISA Online system in 2007. If you’d like to talk it through, I’d be more than happy to speak with you. Many of the ideas you’ve received already are things we did as well. We did what I call a “training blitz” and tied the reporting to our management incentive program. Together, those things have helped tremendously. Good luck!

admin
    Keymaster

Response: Renee Hanrahan, Via Christi Health System

Date: October 8, 2009, 11:16 am

We went “live” with CBISA in phases throughout our hospitals, outpatient facilities, and senior communities. We offer annual trainings throughout the State of Kansas (where most of our facilities are located) and we host these trainings in small groups in front of computer screens so that people have a “hands-on” experience. The trainings are geared to meet the needs of the users so that I usually offer two trainings per site – one for novices and one for more experienced users.

We also hold monthly conference calls where users ask questions about CBISA and/or community benefit. I’d be happy to share some of our agendas with you if you’d like or feel free to call me should you have additional questions. One thing that is critical, is get your top leaders involved ASAP so that they’ll be on board regarding the training requirements for the rest of the staff.

admin
    Keymaster

Response: Geralyn Litzinger, Margaret Mary Community Hospital

Date: October 8, 2009, 11:33 am

We hosted a mandatory training for all team members on community benefit. We covered what community benefit is, state laws and congressional interest, what it means to be a non-profit, value of tax exemption, reasons to report, community benefit standards, CHA, community benefit Categories, what counts, and community benefit reporting.

admin
    Keymaster

I am in the process of implementing CBISA Online within a 14 hospital system that has never used CBISA. What words of advice are available to address the following questions:

1. How did you handle getting the community benefit data loaded into CBISA?

2. How much data loading and application customizing was done on the system administrator level prior to implementing the application across the system?

3. What was your approach to implementing the software? For example, was there a phase in approach or was the entire application embraced and implemented in its entirety from the beginning?

It will be greatly appreciated if I could speak directly to those that have gone through a similar process.

admin
    Keymaster

Response: Renee Hanrahan, Via Christi Health System

Date: January, 7, 2010, 2:02 pm

Natalie, we did things in phases and Lyon Software folks made the transition easy. We have made some changes in how we track activities so that are end-users find their appropriate
    activities quicker and that all of our hospitals are using the same activity titles.

admin
    Keymaster

Response: Michelle Brooks, University Health Systems of Eastern Carolina

Date: January 18, 2010, 1:47 pm

Each hospital is responsible for entering their own data. Each has a facility coordinator that came to 2 separate central trainings prior to implementation and prior to our customization. Coordinators then could either 1) train the managers/staff in their facility to enter or 2) elect to obtain written documentation of CB activity (occurrences) and then enter it themselves.

We entered ALL of the activities for each hospital because we wanted to be standard throughout the system for reporting purposed. Even now, we ask that facility coordinators NOT enter new Activities, but rather to contact the system administrator. That give us the opportunity to 1) make sure the activity is appropriate and 2) add the activity to the other hospitals if they are also engaged in that same activity.

We just completed the first year of CBISA and we concentrated on activities and occurrences. Financial information was not entered, other than the average salaries and fringe %. We have not yet used some of the features that allow the collection of outcomes, goals, etc.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The forum ‘CBISA Community™ Archive’ is closed to new topics and replies.