|     |      |     |

Attention CBISA Users:

Due to the Coronavirus outbreak, Lyon Software will be operating at full capacity, but our employees will be working remotely from home until further notice. For fastest responses to the following topics of inquiry, please use the following email addresses:

For all other inquires, please leave a detailed voicemail with return contact information at 419-882-7184, and your call will be returned within 1 business day.

Best Wishes,
Lyon Software Management Team

Defining Encounters and Persons Served

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    admin
    Keymaster

Posted by: Veronica Gutierrez, St. Joseph Health System

Date: January 26, 2010, 1:01 pm

I would like to ask if you can share how you define and capture the following: Persons served and Encounters in your ministry.

admin
    Keymaster

Response: Mary Luthy, St. John’s Health Center

Date: January 26, 2010, 1:36 pm

Here’s how we do it: Persons served are unduplicated patients/clients served. Encounters are the number of occasions we interacted with any member of the target group. So, a person going to a clinic three times would be one person served, three encounters.

admin
    Keymaster

Response: Veronica Gutierrez, St. Joseph Health System

Date: January 26, 2010, 1:54 pm

Thank you, Mary. The reason I posted this question, is that when people run a classified summary report in CBISA, the only data that is listed is person served. The classified summary is not reflecting the other programs (encounters). Should CBISA add another column that allows Encounters to be listed?

admin
    Keymaster

Date: January 26, 2010, 3:02 pm

It’s a good idea. I just ask my reporters to keep track separately, because we are always asked.

admin
    Keymaster

Response: Angela Haggard, Provena Health

Date: January 26, 2010, 3:58 pm

The CHA manual page 134/135 gives recommendations on to report “number of persons served” and “number of programs” as requested by the IRS 990 Part1 7. The recommendation from CHA is not necessarily unduplicated especially in respect to Charity & Medicaid patients. The recommendation is # of accounts – those could be duplicated.

admin
    Keymaster

Response: Caron Lanouette, Community Benefit Consultant

Date: January 26, 2010, 3:13 pm

You can add Encounters by going to Options – and clicking Edit Defaults – then go to the Custom Terms tab – and highlight 2nd Numeric Output – then click on Edit and type Encounters in the box twice. Encounters will then show up on your Occurrence Screen next to Persons Served.

admin
    Keymaster

Response: Veronica Gutierrez, St. Joseph Health System

Date: January 26, 2010, 3:57 pm

Yes, that is what we do. Currently the Report and Listings-> Complete Summaries-> 3) Complete Summary -Classified only displays persons served and does not show encounters. I will talk to Lyon to see about adding that column.

admin
    Keymaster

Response: Trina Hackensmith, Lyon Software

Date: January 26, 2010, 4:18 pm

A companion report to the Unclassified Summary Report that does show “Encounters” (or whatever the 2nd Numeric Output term has been customized to) is Menu I #3 Selected Category Summary.

admin
    Keymaster

Response: Carol Howdyshell, Genesis Healthcare System

Date: January 28, 2010, 8:32 am

As you are printing reports, Portrait is the default. Also look at the Landscape Option for some of the reports you like to use. This will give you additional data.

admin
    Keymaster

Response: Laurel Schrier, Community Hospital of the Monterey Peninsula

Date: January 26, 2010, 2:07 pm

Where do you log “Encounters” in CBISA? I’ve only ever logged “Persons Served” for an Occurrence of an Activity.

admin
    Keymaster

Date: January 26, 2010, 3:01 pm

Our city asks for unduplicated persons served and encounters, so we track both. I keep the information in the notes.

admin
    Keymaster

Response: Beth Phillips, Kettering Health Network

Date: January 26, 2010, 4:37 pm

How do you track encounters? And do you use those numbers as return on investment. If I’m understanding – those would be the people that take advantage of several programs throughout the year. Do you cross reference them in some way to get a number for encounters? Example: If a person signed up for a diabetes screening 3 times during the year, would that be one encounter, but 3 occurrences? I think I’m getting confused….

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘CBISA Community™ Archive’ is closed to new topics and replies.