|     |      |     |

Attention CBISA Users:

Due to the Coronavirus outbreak, Lyon Software will be operating at full capacity, but our employees will be working remotely from home until further notice. For fastest responses to the following topics of inquiry, please use the following email addresses:

For all other inquires, please leave a detailed voicemail with return contact information at 419-882-7184, and your call will be returned within 1 business day.

Best Wishes,
Lyon Software Management Team

Counting International Aid

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    admin
    Keymaster

Posted by: Erica Thrash-Sall, St. John’s Health System

Date: January 26, 2010, 8:46 am

Does international aid/relief count as community benefit?

admin
    Keymaster

Response: Tina Heater, St. Francis Medical Center – Grand Island

Date: January 26, 2010, 9:54 am

I would think so, please let me know what you find out.

admin
    Keymaster

Response: Sr. Lethia Marie, Sisters of St. Francis

Date: January 26, 2010, 10:18 am

From CHA website what is currently listed:

Topic: Donated Equipment/Supplies — Locally and Globally

Question: When we give supplies or money to another country, or a different part of this country because of poverty that exists there or because of a natural disaster such as a hurricane, can it be included as community benefit?

Recommendation: We recommend including donations to other areas of the country or other countries in response to poverty or natural disasters. We also recommend including these areas in community benefit planning documents that describe the community you serve, especially if you have an ongoing relationship with a foreign mission or area in need. However, it is important to consider proportionality. What is the magnitude of the donation compared with what else is being done in the community? It should not constitute a large proportion of your community benefit.

I had copied this question in Nov 2007 which is written a bit differently.

When we send supplies, money, or staff to another country or to a different part of this country because of poverty that exists there or because of a natural disaster such as a hurricane, can it be included as community benefit?

Recommendation:
    Yes, you can count as community benefit funds, supplies and staff that leave your community to respond to needs elsewhere. You can count the value of the material and the cost of storage and shipping. Count as E1 or E3, Cash donations, or In-kind donations.

Task force comments:
    • You are helping to relieve a government burden, a clear community benefit.

• Consider proportionality, what is the magnitude of the donation compared with what else is being done in the community. It should not constitute a large proportion of your community benefit.

• Regarding staffing for such efforts, follow other guidance in this document and do not count the time of staff that is volunteered. That is, do not count if the organization is not paying for their time. If the organization pays for travel and lodging, it can be counted.

• If the item has depreciated, do not count the value of the item if it is of no value to the organization. That is, do not value old items as if they were new.

admin
    Keymaster

Response: Augusta Mueller, Yale-New Haven Health

Date: January 29, 2010, 2:55 pm

Thank you Sr. Lethia Marie this is very useful information. I made the mistake of thinking it may be community building but that is more for planning for disaster preparedness such as stock piling for H1N1.

admin
    Keymaster

Response: Augusta Mueller, Yale-New Haven Health

Date: January 26, 2010, 10:21 am

I’m interested as well and need to document our efforts. My thought was F3 – support System Enhancements.

admin
    Keymaster

Response: Deb Freeman, The Bellevue Hospital

Date: January 26, 2010, 10:27 am

My understanding was that the benefit had to be to your community or your service area, not other areas of the country or the world.

admin
    Keymaster

Response: Aileen Beltran, Texas Children’s Hospital

Date: January 26, 2010 10:56 am

If one’s organization defines community with international included, then this would count. Community could encompass: locally, nationally, and internationally depending on the organization.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘CBISA Community™ Archive’ is closed to new topics and replies.