|     |      |     |

Compassionate Hands Program

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    admin
    Keymaster

Posted by: Morgan Robinson, Borgess Medical Center

Date: May 15, 2015 10:14 AM

My organization has a program called compassionate hands where volunteers of the hospital sit with very ill or dying patients who do not have any other family and friends. These volunteers keep the patients company. Watch TV, talk, read, etc. Can this be counted as community benefit for our facility even though we are using volunteers or should it be entered into the narratives section? Thank you for your help.
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Response: Leesa Kelley, Crouse
    Date: May 15, 2015 1:23 PM
    Narrratives – but if a staff person coordinates the program his/her time can be counted, plus any related supplies.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Response: Angie Sullivan, St. Mary’s Janesville Hospital

Date: May 15, 2015 1:28 PM

We have a similar program; however I have not counted it as a community benefit because you have to be a patient at the hospital. It was my understanding that the activity has to be open to the community not just patients to be counted as a community benefit. I may have to re-evaluate. Thank you.
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Response: Kelly Peisker, St. Vincent
    Date: May 15, 2015 1:53 PM
    It is a great program but I agree with Angie, you should not count it as community benefit. There are extra things we do for our patients like pet therapy, music therapy, art therapy but unless you go out into the community with those programs, it is not community benefit. __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Response: Karley King, BJC
    Date: May 15, 2015 2:00 PM
    Angie, yes activities have to be widely open to community to be counted. Activities that are only for your patients is not community benefits.
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Posted by: Dee Wimberley, Methodist Le Bonheur Healthcare
    Date: May 15, 2015 3:44 PM
    So glad you asked this question. We have an identical program here at our hospitals and I have not been including it in our narrative or anywhere. This one had totally slipped my mind!!!!
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • The forum ‘CBISA Community™ Archive’ is closed to new topics and replies.